Helping American Businesses Expand to Canada
For US companies looking to expand over international borders, Canada often seems like a comfortable and natural first step due to sharing familiar markets as well as political and economic ties. Despite these similarities, companies looking to take this step should ensure that they are fully prepared in every aspect of their business – in particular, their approach in managing employees in a new country. You would be surprised to know how different Canadian policies, procedures and employment legislation are from their US counterparts.
BREAKING BORDERS, in a nutshell, is a professional employer organization (PEO) service that provides outsourced employee management tasks, such as employee benefits, payroll and workers’ compensation, recruiting, risk/safety management, and training and development. The PEO does this by hiring a client company’s employees, thus becoming their employer of record for tax purposes and insurance purposes. This practice is known as joint employment or co-employment.
Full-Service Employee Management
- Customized employment documentation, including offer letters that match your corporate strategy.
- HR support and advice regarding full-cycle employment, from onboarding to termination.
- Canadian phone number for employees to call with banking or health and safety questions.
- Direct deposit and emailed pay slips to your Canadian employees.
- Payment and filing for all applicable payroll taxes.
- No need to open a Canadian bank account. Payroll funds can be wired to Pivotal in CDN or USD.
- Access to extensive health benefit packages, including health and dental, group RSP, as well as short- and long-term disability coverage.
Customer Service and Support
- A direct line to our dedicated Payroll and HR Specialists who manage your account throughout the relationship.
- Each Specialist is supported by a team of seasoned professionals who can handle payroll and HR questions at all levels.